Child Care Grant

The Postsecondary Child Care Grant Program helps low income students who have young children pay for child care while the student attends classes.

Who is Eligible?

Minnesota residents who have a child 12 years old or younger (or 14 or younger if the child is handicapped) and whose family size and income qualify for the program. To qualify, student also must:

  • Be U.S. citizens or eligible non-citizen.
  • Be Minnesota residents.
  • Be enrolled for at least six credits per term.
  • Not have completed four years of postsecondary education. Students who have withdrawn for active military service after December 31, 2002 are given an extra term of eligibility.
  • Not have defaulted on a student loan.

The student must not be receiving assistance from the Minnesota Family Investment Program (MFIP). Individuals receiving MFIP at this time should contact their County Social Office of Higher Education to get additional information about child care assistance.

What Schools Are Eligible?

Eligible institutions are all public postsecondary schools and private, baccalaureate degree granting colleges and universities located in Minnesota, or nonprofit, two-year vocational schools granting associate degrees.

How is the Award Determined?

The amount of child care assistance depends on:

  • The number of people in the student’s household.
  • The number of day care hours necessary to cover education and work obligations.
  • Income of the applicant and spouse.
  • The availability of funding.
  • The student’s enrollment status

How Much Money Can You Get?

The maximum available to a full-time student is $2,800 for each eligible child per academic year. Assistance may cover up to 40 hours of child care per week for each eligible child.

In some instances, the maximum award may be increased by 10 percent to compensate for higher market costs for infant care.

What Is the Application Process?

The student should apply to the financial aid office at his or her school.

For more information, see our Child Care Assistance for Postsecondary Education brochure.